· Theresa Knorr 13331
Article Info
· Articles: 222
· Read: 901066
View Thread
 Print Thread
Criminal Minds
omnivorism
I am curious what members here think of this show.

I have never actually watched a full episode of this show, but I've seen various scenes on several occasions.

I know this show is very popular around the world.

In general, I am very particular about watching tv drama or network tv movies (24 and the Unit, or Lost and all of that do nothing for me, but I do get into some of the miniseries type shows on AMC, HBO, Showtime etc).

And I really enjoy real true crime television like biographical stuff and forensic psychology (along the lines of Biography channel or Most Evil).

I've talked to multiple people who I would consider more average joe's and not true crime buffs that are into this show, but if you start talking about stuff like Richard Chase, the average one will look at you like you know a suspicious amount about killers, and they don't know shit, or watch the same type of non-fiction programs. Or really seem to have much interest in discussing such things.

I know that some episodes of these shows are in fact based on real killers (I read there was actually one based at least loosely on Chase for example), but from what I have seen of this show, and comparable tv crime dramas it looked kind of hokey and not too realistic as far as their overall portrayals of both the the killers, and the actual investigation drama.

Maybe I just haven't given the show and others like it a fair chance, But some of what I have seen just seemed more like total fiction, and a lot of the situations to be not very realistic.

Are any of the members here fans of this show or similar ones?
What are you views on them?

Do you feel these shows are more for "casual" true crime enthusiasts who don't have much interest in watching more straight forward biographical content on the subject?

MeganCamm8077
I am absolutely in love with the show. Many of the episodes may not be based on real criminals, but the investigations seem legit. You watch them give the profile, and narrow down the suspect pool until they hit their target. Obviously, there is some drama between the FBI profilers, as is the nature of television, but many episodes are based on the crimes. It also consists of twist & turns, and huge drama at the end of each series. i highly recommend Criminal Minds, it's the show that got me interested in serial killers, and convinced me to study Forensic Psychology at university Smile 2

omnivorism
MeganCamm8077 wrote:

..... convinced me to study Forensic Psychology at university Smile 2

Glad to have you here. Honestly I would like to see more people like you here. Although some of the members here who have no affiliation with the justice department still know a hell of a lot from self learning.

Some of the generally shortlived newcomers here are real morons.
Although sometimes they can be amusing when they do things like accuse us of not being hardcore enough, because you know, they thought this was the site where all of the serial killers of the world come together to discuss how awesome they are and complain how they are misunderstood artists.

I would like to see more people here in our membership with formal schooling and experience in the field. Welcome.

As far as the show, I might get around to giving it more of a chance, and if I do, I will probably seek out an episode on a real case I am familiar with and interest in to see how they treat it.

SpahnRanch1969
MeganCamm8077 wrote:

I am absolutely in love with the show. Many of the episodes may not be based on real criminals, but the investigations seem legit. You watch them give the profile, and narrow down the suspect pool until they hit their target. Obviously, there is some drama between the FBI profilers, as is the nature of television, but many episodes are based on the crimes. It also consists of twist & turns, and huge drama at the end of each series. i highly recommend Criminal Minds, it's the show that got me interested in serial killers, and convinced me to study Forensic Psychology at university Smile 2

Laugh 2Welcome to SKC, Megan!Laugh 2

jeffc
I always found the show rather entertaining despite its unrealistic aspects:
all those elaborate torture chambers from sea to shining sea
the myth of profiling being able to identify a completely unknown subject
Spence being essentially a pale imitation of Robert Goren
Hotch has killed what? A half dozen people in the line of duty already?

But in the latest season, the soap opera aspects have just completely taken over.
In my opinion, Criminal Minds has now jumped the van.

summerswelter
I watched it back when Mandy Pitinkin was starring, and thought the show was good overall. Patinkin's one of my favorite actors, so watching him on a weekly crime drama was great. Unfortunately, he never seems to stay in one place for very long.

To add insult to injury, Patinkin was replaced by Joe Mantegna... an actor I despise with a molten hatred.
§

N/A
omnivorism
summerswelter wrote:

I watched it back when Mandy Pitinkin was starring...

Didn't know he used to be in it

d24w6bsrhbeh9d.cloudfront.net/photo/558595_700b.jpg

I only saw the more recent episodes I guess.

Poopy John
I like the show a lot. Have been watching it for years. I appreciate how the show sometimes bases a killer on one or more real-life serial killers, and often obscure ones. Occasionally there will be a clunker of an episode, but it is rare. I cannot get enough of it, and have tons of episodes taped, still to watch. I also liked the spin-off, "C.Minds Suspect Behavior." I caught a lot of the episodes, but still need to see some more. Does anyone know of legal and free ways to watch Criminal Minds and other shows online? One episode of the spin-off was particularly good, with a story about an extremely brutal and vicious serial killer. He seemed to almost be a kind of composite of Ivan Millat and Lawrencce Bittaker. Has anyone seen this episode? Any fans of "The Following"? How about "Hannibal"?

Jump to Forum:
Articles Cloud
Ivan Milat, Robert Maudsley, Huang Yong, Angel Resendiz Arrest Warrant, Robert Pickton, Benjamin Boyle, Steven Grievson, Edmund Kemper, Patrick Kearney, Andre Crawford, Joe Roy Metheny Confession, Léopold Dion, Walter E. Ellis, Allen Leroy Anderson, Andrew Kehoe
Search
Search the entire site:
Login
Username

Password

Not a member yet?
Click here to register.

Forgotten your password?
Request a new one here.
Users Online
· Guests Online: 7

· Members Online: 0

· Total Members: 984
· Newest Member: KillerKlown
Shoutbox
You must login to post a message.

July 18 2014 21:32
It's not the first time I got something interesting in a serial killer book off amazon. I got some murder groupie's lipstick smeared kiss on the inside cover of a book on Westley Allan Dodd.

July 18 2014 18:49
a happy extra-added bonus, for sure Cool

July 18 2014 16:37
So, a book in the mail came from amazon today signed by Jeffrey Dahmer's apartment manager. Interesting surprise considering I only spent $4 total on the book.

July 18 2014 16:33
Howdy

July 16 2014 13:36
howdy all!!!!!!!

7,022,562 unique visits Theme Nemo by Harly